Meet the Elders
Our Elders are the back bone of the church. You may see them on a Sunday undertaking their duties, but behind the scenes a lot goes on! Throughout the week, an Elder is never far from the Church!
Our Elders have a number of ‘functions’, which include…
- to see that worship is regularly offered and the sacraments duly administered, and generally to promote the welfare of the congregation;
- to ensure pastoral care of the congregation.
- to arrange for pulpit supply in a vacancy;
- to keep the roll of members and lists of names of adherents and children attached to the congregation.
- to be responsible for the institution and oversight of work among children and young people and of all organisations within the congregation;
- to call for the election of elders and advise on the number required;
- to consider the suitability of any applicant for recognition as a candidate for the ministry
- to recommend to the church meeting arrangements for the proper maintenance of buildings and the general oversight of all financial responsibilities of the local church;
- to act on behalf of the church meeting and bring concerns to the wider councils of the United Reformed Church